Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tis The Season to be Poorly

For some strange reason I just couldn't get warm all afternoon. We'd sat around the kitchen table, on the last Friday before Christmas, eating a selection of party snacks and drinking the damson gin that Lovely Warden had been brewing in his shed for the past few months. Well, I say eating and drinking. Lovely Warden and McColleague were. I, on the other hand, was not. My appetite was oddly absent and I was mostly sipping water, the alcohol not appealing to me as it usually does.

When my guests finally left I collapsed into an armchair, shivering.

Turned out I was coming down with a bout of festive flu and by the time I returned to normality Christmas was all over. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not, to be honest. I feel like I missed out on a proper big Christmas dinner and the whole drinking, merriment thing, but, then again, I didn't have to cook or make small talk, as I was in a feverish sleep and therefore excused. Swings and roundabouts really.

9 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Watch out - we all had a double-do of this beast - the acutely feverish symptoms you describe plus stomach upset too, around the 5th - 12th December, but then just as we thought we'd cast it off a second dose, not quite so debilitating (and without the stomach upset) 23rd - 29th December...enough to put a heavy crease in Christmas but not spoil it...

Sorry to hear your festivities were so wrecked. I think these viruses are mutating faster than ever...

Do I detect some real celebrations over the New Year?

Doris said...

Cogidubnus - sounds like we shared the same bug all right. I'm hoping I don't have the second bout though! I'm planning a quiet New Year, just to be on the safe side.

Barry Lawrence said...

T'is the Law of Sod! Poor you. Hope you're feeling better now. Have one for me on New Year's Eve.

cogidubnus said...

Happy New Year Doris...Hope you're feeling a bit better!

stitchwort said...

On the plus side, think of all the weight you didn't put on over Christmas.

A very Happy New Year to you and your family - and Lovely Warden, McColleague, and all the others.

Betty said...

Disgusting bugs seem to affect virtually everyone around Christmas time. It's a miracle that we didn't catch something while all around us were falling this year (well, unless you count the husband's pseudo heart attack on Christmas night).

Anyway, hope you're feeling better now and have managed to enjoy some sort of festive stuff. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Thankfully that flu has not made it to this part of this side of the pond. I hope you are all better and avoid any second rounds.

Will said...

For me, it's not Christmas unless I'm feeling a little bit ill. But that's just me.

Doris said...

Happy New Year to you all! Thankfully I am now feeling much better, and can even manage a small medicinal white wine or two of an evening.